Topic Brainstorm

Creation Myths:  I have always gravitated towards creation myths, it almost reminds me of fiction that shows how modern concepts came to be.  I also found that when I'm brainstorming plots and characters for my own writing, I gravitate towards these kind of topics rather than stories set in modern periods or urban areas.  I have more prior knowledge of creation myths simply because I enjoyed reading them a lot when I was younger!

Chinese Fairy Tales:  This is the genre I am most familiar with, even though I am not Chinese, Asian-American cultures were very mixed in the community I grew up in, and I saw several familiar names while reading through the Asian Folktales section.  Even if I hadn't read the story itself, several of the characters and their stories have been recycled into modern Asian media and pop-culture, so it feels very familiar.  

Native American Nature Stories:  When I read these stories, I noticed they had very straightforward plots compared to some of the other plots, which I liked because there was so much creative freedom for rewriting the story.  Some other plots were a lot more complex, which makes it more difficult for the author to rewrite it the way they want to while still being true to the original message of the story.

Laotian Folktales:  I mainly chose this one because I already found several stories that I really enjoyed while reading this section for the assignment that explored the textbook.  Some of the other folklore had language that was difficult to understand, or stories that I wasn't particularly interested in, but I found the perfect blend of both in this section!  I have no prior experience or knowledge with Laotian culture or myths, but I really enjoyed what I've read so far.  

Creation (1931), Source



Comments

Popular Posts