Microfiction Revision: 2020

Before:

In January we saw all the red flags but chose to ignore them.  February came and we wanted to pretend it wasn't real until it was too close to ignore.   We tripped over March and all hell broke loose.  It got far worse before it got any better, but somehow it feels like we haven't seen the worst yet.  We think we're doing as much as we can right now, but unfortunately, by the time it's through with us we will only be able to think in hindsight.  This year we stumbled upon a tragedy that we can't stop living.  

After:

In January we saw the red flags but chose to ignore them.  February came and we pretended it wasn't real until it was too close to ignore.   We tripped over March and all hell broke loose.  Far worse before it got any better, but somehow it feels like we haven't seen the worst yet.  We think we're doing the best we can, but unfortunately, by the time it's through with us we will only have regrets in hindsight.  If only we knew how well we were crippling ourselves.  This year we stumbled upon a tragedy that we can't stop living.  

Author's note:  I really like the line "if only we knew how well we were crippling ourselves." It's referring to the people who don't see all the harm they're doing by ignoring safety precautions.  However, I feel conflicted about the parts I had to cut in order to add that line.  The message is still the same but I liked the flow of the story better before I cut out all the "filler" words.  I like both versions for different reasons!
CT scans of a patient with pneumonia caused by COVID-19 (March 8, 2020) Source


Comments

  1. Hi there!
    This was super interesting to read! I like that you themed this after everything the world is going through right now. I like that you included the second part about the consequences of people not following safety precautions but it's so true! I wanted you to continue the story so bad! I sounded like the beginning of a movie script and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey SV!

    Before I even read your author's note I thought to myself "Oh that was good" right after reading that sentence. Using a word like "crippling" which has a negative connotation in the way you did was extremely effective. No one wants to hear that they're doing something negative really well, so adding that sentence in to encompass how much better we could be doing was a really good trick. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your micro fiction! I think it is so cool how much we can say without saying much at all, and it all goes back to word choice and sentence structure. This class has definitely emphasized how impactful creative writing can be, and I really think you achieved that with this piece of storytelling specifically. I also liked your addition of the pictures to add a reality effect to your writing. Great job with this!

    - Emma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts