Microfiction Revision: What of these Invisible Things?

How curious it is, these invisible things.  All these invisible things mean more to us than anything we can ever truly grasp and hold. Secrets, love, gratitude.  These invisible things that only hold meaning because we allow them to.  How unlike us to allow these meaningless nothings to dictate us.  But how terrifying we might become if we allowed ourselves to be free of these invisible things.  Greed, guts, guilt.  We boast greatness when these invisible things are the only things that separate us from them.  Our complexity is difficult to brand.  What are we to feel, weakness or greatness?  

***

 How curious, these invisible things.  These invisible things mean more to us than anything we will ever truly grasp and hold. Secrets, love, gratitude.  These invisible things that only hold meaning because we allow them to.  How unlike us to allow these meaningless nothings to dictate us, but how terrifying we might become if we allowed ourselves to be free of these invisible things.  Greed, guts, guilt.  We boast greatness when these invisible things are the only thing between us from them.  Our complexity is difficult to brand.  Are these our strength or simply weakness that we refuse to admit.

Clouds, Image Source

Author's Note:  I realized I forgot to add one in my original post.  The meaning is essentially the same, I just cleaned up some unnecessary words so I could change that last line.  Basically the whole story questions why we let things that we invent in out heads, like emotions, to consume us and dictate us.  We boast being a superior species, but if this kind of complex thinking is the only thing that separates us from other animals, why do we treat emotions like a weakness?

Comments

  1. Hi,
    I would say I love to read your story! This sentence, "These invisible things that only hold meaning because we allow them to." is amazing. I agree with your idea on that. Human thought is the thing that endow the meaning to each invisible thing. Although in chemical aspect, thoughts are just some reactions. But they still unique and important to all wise creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey SV! I really liked how you expanded on your 100 word story in your author's note. In one of my recent psych classes, my professor shared the idea that we don't experience negative emotions; the displeasurable feeling we get creates the idea of a negative emotion in our brain. I think that goes hand in hand with your 100 word story and offers a new perspective on how we are in control of how we feel and how respond to those feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love this way of thinking. I really connected with the part where you said "Why do we treat emotions like a weakness?" I though this was a really well written piece and that you spent some time before hand to think about how you would write it. Great work and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts